There are carpools that start off full of energy. It's all you can do to calm them down. Then there are other carpools when you can almost hear a pin drop.
Don't get me wrong. Every mom loves a quiet carpool. But sometimes it's just too quiet.
What's Going On?
Kids don't always know how to get the conversation started when they're around new people or are feeling tired. That's when I've found it helps to jump in with a few fun icebreakers.
Here are 6 tried-and-true conversation topics that get kids talking:
- How was your day?
- What did you do during recess?
- Tell me about your lunch, do you bring your own or eat school lunch?
- What's something fun you did outside today?
- What is the strangest thing you've eaten?
- What's your favorite ice cream flavor?
Usually, it only takes is a few small questions to get everyone chatting. Then you can ease out of the conversation and only jump in when necessary. But at the beginning, a few icebreakers can make the ride more comfortable for everyone.